Notices
8-Lug Truck Performance Duramax, 8.1L, and HD tech | Intakes | Exhaust | Tuning | Suspension | Drivetrain

Replacement diff cover

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2017, 11:26 PM
On The Tree

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Replacement diff cover

Is there a better diff cover (rear) than the stocker? Mine has rusted through and is leaking. I'm told this is common on these trucks ('03 Silverado 2500HD 4WD). It is a plow truck, but really... Never had a diff cover rust through before on anything!
Old 01-27-2017, 11:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 545 Likes on 471 Posts

Just find a new stocker, I see no need to find one with fins or anything fancy like that when you just use it for a plow truck.
Old 01-27-2017, 11:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

Sure the salt helped speed up the rust on it, seen a few covers quite rusted, cant say i have ever personally seen one rust through though! An aluminum cover would definitely alleviate the rust issue, and a cover with a girdle built into it would help strengthen the rear end, but on a stock truck would probably be overkill!!!
Old 01-28-2017, 01:43 AM
On The Tree

Yeah, not looking for fancy. And don't need super strong, etc. Just thought there might be something more durable. I saw theses "Rugged Ridge" cast steel, 3/8" thick covers, but couldn't find one to fit the 14 bolt diff. Figured that would last longer than the stamped steel.

This isn't my first plow truck, but it is the first truck I've ever seen the diff cover rust through. The power steering pump reservoir rusted through also. First time I've seen that as well. Funny thing is, there isn't much body rust at all on this truck. None visible on the outside. There's a small patch starting on the bottom of the passenger door on the inside of the skin (near the door gasket), but that's it. The rear bumper does have holes in it, though.

I shouldn't call it a "plow truck". "Work truck" would be a better description. Work truck and daily driver, I guess. I drive this truck when it rains, and during the winter when there's salt on the roads. My little red truck (2011 Silverado short be 2WD) hides in the garage until we've had a few good springtime rains to wash that $hit away.

Maybe I'll just get a stamped steel replacement and give it a good Rustoleum paint job inside and out.
Old 01-29-2017, 09:02 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 191 Likes on 149 Posts

My diff cover rusted through last spring, I bought a new stamped one for like $35 and Rust-Oleumed it. My truck had a little spot of rust on the passenger rocker about two years ago, in a few months became a hole, and a few months later they completely disappeared. The first thing to rust through was my brake lines, maybe 3 or 4 years ago now.

They seem to have it pretty well figured out how to time the end of the life of their product.
Old 01-30-2017, 12:38 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Look at it this way, the stock one lasted 13+ years. If it's the cheapest route, just get another one. It will likely outlast the rest of the truck.

DEWFPO
Old 02-07-2017, 05:27 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by DEWFPO
Look at it this way, the stock one lasted 13+ years. If it's the cheapest route, just get another one. It will likely outlast the rest of the truck.

DEWFPO
Good point. I got a stock replacement painted steel cover.