Notices
8-Lug Truck Performance Duramax, 8.1L, and HD tech | Intakes | Exhaust | Tuning | Suspension | Drivetrain

GM Cruze 2.0 oil burner

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2015, 11:41 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Default GM Cruze 2.0 oil burner

I know some of you hardcore diesel guys are in here. Being a GM guy I know the trucks inside and out. However, I am looking at a 2.0 diesel cruze for a daily commuter it's rated at 46 MPG. Any of you know or heard anything about them or any friends who drive one. Good call stay hell away etc. We never have cars in the shop or sell them they just arent around our area it's all trucks here.
Old 10-13-2015, 11:45 PM
Mod with training wheels

Received 202 Likes on 138 Posts

I have the turbo 1.4 gasser....if I felt like paying double I wouldn't have hesitated to get the diesel. I do have a friend with one and from what he tells me, that 46mpg claim is very conservative. He says it doesn't get less than 50mpg at 85mph. From what I see on the internet, that seems to be pretty normal. Definitely a solid design.
Old 10-13-2015, 11:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 546 Likes on 472 Posts

I haven't been in a new one yet but the first gens were so cheap looking and bland but they got good MPG. Havent heard anything on the diesels yet.

I know when my dad was looking for a new car it was either the cruze or mazda 3, ended up with the mazda 3 and they are better quality in my eyes. Rated at 40 mpg but his is a 6 speed manual and gets 42-44 all the time.
Old 10-14-2015, 03:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The 2.0 diesel is amazing. I want one bad after I borrowed one for 2 weeks from my boss. 50mpg was typical on the highway. Plenty of power for a compact. Plus they come pretty loaded. I have had an auto notify on Craigslist for some time now. Not many have left original owners hands for good reason. Great little cars.
Old 10-27-2015, 01:52 AM
TECH Veteran

I know and understand to take what you read on the internet with a grain of salt. However most forums like here you usually get the straight dope on questions and platforms.

What concerns me is some of the reading I did over on the cruze forums about the diesel. I was all kinds of hyped up ready to buy one and from what I gather and I could be wrong either you get a good one or you get one that lives in the shop. Anyone actually know anyone who has had one and its real world reliability. I mean theres tons of owners who aren't on the net and own stuff. I just can't decide if diesels right move or get a 1.4 gasser and go on with life I know the gasser wont be in the shop. With the job I'm looking at taking necessitating the car purchase I can't own a lemon shes got to go and be dead nuts reliable all day every day.
Old 10-27-2015, 02:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My boss who I interact with on a near everyday basis during the summer(we work from our vehicles) has never had any issues I know of. I want one pretty bad. Another coworker with the 1.4t has had a lot more issues.
Old 10-27-2015, 02:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

I have a 012 1.4T I bought with Slavage title a couple years ago. Other then a bad oring on the water neck which apparently was a common thing, I haven't had any issues with it. I put an aftermarket intercooler on it and a Trifecta tune and its a fun car to drive and get 30-36 mpg's. My dad liked it so well, he bought a brand new one for my mom about a month ago. I'd sure like a diesel though. And most of the guys on cruzetalk.com are morons and dealership queens. Couldn't change there own oil if they had to.
Old 10-27-2015, 08:38 PM
TECH Veteran

Now thats really what I wanted to hear. Cruzetalk is where I was lurking. Be nice if you could DPF and DEF delete sob I bet it'd be perfect. From what I understand reading gm information I can find on our side it's a FIAT/GM venture engine that has been used in europe for a while. My thought is it's probably solid being european till our US emissions crap found it's way onboard.

I don't want to roll coal but diesel torque and fuel mileage and a car that can roll out when you step on it is sure enticing.
Old 01-23-2016, 09:53 PM
TECH Veteran

As the song says I gone off and done it. I found a brand new left over 15 diesel cruze brand new 19500 before all the other add on crap with buying a car. It's got 364 miles on it from my trip home in it today. This little SOB better not be a pig with failures.
Old 01-24-2016, 12:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Cool! Intrested in knowing how they really are on mileage.

Now you need to get it tuned so it really makes some power! lol

Quick Reply: GM Cruze 2.0 oil burner