Notices
8-Lug Truck Performance Duramax, 8.1L, and HD tech | Intakes | Exhaust | Tuning | Suspension | Drivetrain

Building '00 2500 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2016, 08:59 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Building '00 2500 4x4

I'm buying my nephew's 2000 nbs Silverado 2500 4x4. It has the 6.0 and 4L80e. Not for sure how many miles are REALLY on it but at this point it's kinda moot.
My plans for it include rebuilding the engine with a nice cam to pick up some low and mid range power, freshening up the trans with a shift kit and new TC, putting some long tubes on it and a full dual exhaust, lift kit with 35s and regearing to 4.88 with a Tru Trac in the rear.
Body work and some interior work needs to be done but mechanically is what I'm concerned with right now.
When I go into the engine, I'm sure that I'll need to replace the injectors and probably deck the heads and bore it out. I'm not looking for a race truck but one that will put out good reliable power. Is there an upgrade on the heads I can do? Maybe some newer model heads? Are 8.1L injectors worth putting on with a mild engine build? What about upgrades on intake?
Old 06-05-2016, 09:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 546 Likes on 472 Posts

If the bottom end is still solid and no oil pressure problems or crazy sounds, it should be just fine as it is. I don't see a need to rebuild it but I guess that your money and your choice.

If they have iron heads, get rid of them. Though I think most all 2000's have the Aluminum 317's, they already flow great and don't really need any work. Depending on cam choice and power you want to make, you may as well just toss some 8.1 injectors in there. Stock truck intake is great, they will make great power as is. I would get a intake tube if they make them though, they flow so much better than the stock intake tub with baffles.
Old 06-05-2016, 09:39 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by FFDP
If the bottom end is still solid and no oil pressure problems or crazy sounds, it should be just fine as it is. I don't see a need to rebuild it but I guess that your money and your choice.

If they have iron heads, get rid of them. Though I think most all 2000's have the Aluminum 317's, they already flow great and don't really need any work. Depending on cam choice and power you want to make, you may as well just toss some 8.1 injectors in there. Stock truck intake is great, they will make great power as is. I would get a intake tube if they make them though, they flow so much better than the stock intake tub with baffles.
Well that's the deal, not sure if the oil pump is shot or what. I THINK a HG might be blown because the oil gets thin pretty quick after an oil change and when that happens the oil pressure has a hard time staying up. Not to mention I will want to do new lifters and pretty much new valve train because this one has the GM tick. Intake manifold gasket is leaky or it's cracked. So best bet is to rebuild it so it can last me another very long time.
Honestly this thing was beat by my wife's uncle out in deep west Texas since the day he bought it. My nephew bought it cheap but didn't want to put the money into it to get it right and I love these older trucks like this so I'm going to make it a beast.
A CAI is definitely on the parts list. If for some reason it has iron heads on it what year heads should I be looking for? If they are aluminum are they going to be the cathedral heads I am reading about?
Old 06-06-2016, 01:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

2001 and up and yes they will be cathedral ports, if you need to get heads the 799 or 243s will bump compression and still flow as well if not better than the 317s...
Old 06-06-2016, 11:07 AM
Teching In

Won't the higher compression heads require premium fuel? I'm trying to stay with 87 octane if I can, not really wanting to pay for premium unless there is no choice to get what I'm looking for.
Old 06-06-2016, 11:18 AM
TECH Addict

Received 371 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Haulinbass02
Won't the higher compression heads require premium fuel? I'm trying to stay with 87 octane if I can, not really wanting to pay for premium unless there is no choice to get what I'm looking for.
It's all in the tuning.

You can run increased compression as long as your tune doesn't go crazy with the timing.
Old 06-06-2016, 11:45 AM
Teching In

BUT if my iron 317s are still good couldn't I just have them milled to bump compression, clean them up, put new springs and rockers and go?
Old 06-06-2016, 02:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

317s arent iron if you have 317s run with em...

Last edited by Wolftrk99; 06-06-2016 at 02:58 PM.
Old 06-06-2016, 09:26 PM
Teching In

Ok sorry I misread your earlier post. I'm pretty certain it's going to be iron heads on that year LQ4. What specific engines and years should I be looking for to find 317s or any of the other heads? I need to be looking because I will be tearing the top end apart in the next couple of months and I'm starting to line up parts.
Aside from cooling issues, what is so bad about the cast iron heads?
Old 06-06-2016, 09:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

They flow like and they are heavy as hell.... 317s were used starting i think it was in 02 On the 6.0, .....if you decide to run the 799s they are on all the 4.8/5.3 from 07 up so they are becoming rather plentiful... Sad prt is i gave away a perfectly good set of 317s when i cleaned out my buddies garage after i was done with my engine....

Quick Reply: Building '00 2500 4x4