Notices
8-Lug Truck Performance Duramax, 8.1L, and HD tech | Intakes | Exhaust | Tuning | Suspension | Drivetrain

8.1L K20 Build

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2016, 05:49 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At this point I know one thing is for SURE. I will be using your pistons for sure. As far as cam goes Im still up in the air. I know its from you just not sure which one as I will be running stock heads. What Im worried about with the 205 cam (which is want I was wanting) is the valvetrain not holding up. Not wanting to buy longer valves, super stiff springs, cut pockets, and all that jazz if thats what a 205 requires.

If it does require that then a 203 is what Im after.

Larry, have you guys increased compression say 1 point on stock heads and seen any gains? OR ill effects? Not by shaving heads but say by decking block. Not even sure if that can be done cause I never measured piston in the hole beforehand.
Old 10-05-2016, 01:45 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 496 BB
At this point I know one thing is for SURE. I will be using your pistons for sure. As far as cam goes Im still up in the air. I know its from you just not sure which one as I will be running stock heads. What Im worried about with the 205 cam (which is want I was wanting) is the valvetrain not holding up. Not wanting to buy longer valves, super stiff springs, cut pockets, and all that jazz if thats what a 205 requires.

If it does require that then a 203 is what Im after.

Larry, have you guys increased compression say 1 point on stock heads and seen any gains? OR ill effects? Not by shaving heads but say by decking block. Not even sure if that can be done cause I never measured piston in the hole beforehand.
You'll have to replace the valve springs with any cam swap you do (unless its a really tiny cam). You won't have to change your pushrods either. The base circle for the 201/202/203/205 cam stay the same so stock pushrods work just fine. I would recommend roller rockers, the reduction in friction means less heat and better performance.

Do not mill the heads or block for a bump in compression. If there is damage you can cut them down minimally, but I would suggest a thicker head gasket to make up the difference or you'll be venturing into detonation land. Frankly, the stock cylinder heads are throw away items. Extensive porting (roughly 12-14 hours of work) will get you 10-15hp - provided you don't go through the exceptionally thin wall castings. If you want 10 to 1 compression, buy aluminum heads.