Notices
8-Lug Truck Performance Duramax, 8.1L, and HD tech | Intakes | Exhaust | Tuning | Suspension | Drivetrain

Diesel lift pump???

Old 12-02-2012, 09:36 PM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Diesel lift pump???

Hey guys, I've done a ton of searching around for lift pump info. I've learned enough to know that I do want a lift pump. But I'm not convinced that I need additional filtration, and 500+ bones on for a FASS or AirDog pump isn't too appealing to me either.

So, on to my question. Is there any reason that a basic lift pump won't work? My truck is stock, and I have no plans to do any serious modding(stock trans) beyond a 30-50hp tune.

Something like this.

Name:  liftpump.jpg
Views: 287
Size:  12.3 KB

I'd wire it to a relay, triggered by the ignition switch. What to you guys say? Am I wrong for thinking like this?
Old 12-02-2012, 10:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

I put the Airdog II on mine. If I had it to do over again, I'd have probably saved the money and just put the Holley "Black" pump on it. Guys say it works good and is still flow through if it's not running or dies on you so the truck will still run with out the pump running.
Old 12-03-2012, 04:37 AM
11 sec. Truck Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah roger a basic inline flow-thru pump will work. You just need between 5-8 psi of flow measured at the filter head.

Just need a pump that will work with diesel , I've read about reg. pumps failing with diesel , from the sites it seems the Holley black is hit or miss.

Some guys also build a simple bypass around the pump incase it does fail.

You will notice a much stronger running truck with a lift pump, and no more pumping the plunger to prime it after filter changes .
Old 12-09-2012, 08:03 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put a holley black pump on my truck 3 months ago and also added a napa filter head with a cat filter with the 2 micron rating. I made it in a way like the airdogs and fass setups. I can tell you that it made the truck more responsive. Plus its always a good thing to have the better filtration with the injector issues.
Old 12-09-2012, 09:25 PM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 99LsSilverado
I put a holley black pump on my truck 3 months ago and also added a napa filter head with a cat filter with the 2 micron rating. I made it in a way like the airdogs and fass setups. I can tell you that it made the truck more responsive. Plus its always a good thing to have the better filtration with the injector issues.
That's good to hear. I haven't decided which way I'm going yet, the wife's car is taking up all my spare time right now. Do you have any pics of how you mounted your pump and filters?
Old 12-09-2012, 11:19 PM
Teching In

I ran a holley blue, it lasted a year or so. Then I ran a carter for a while, it did fine. Now I have a fass 260 because I got it at a deal. I have to recommend the tts lift pumps though. My dad's been running their dual pump setup for 4 years and I would be too if I had not come across the big fass pump at the right time.
Old 12-10-2012, 04:52 AM
11 sec. Truck Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by operator1
I ran a holley blue, it lasted a year or so. Then I ran a carter for a while, it did fine. Now I have a fass 260 because I got it at a deal. I have to recommend the tts lift pumps though. My dad's been running their dual pump setup for 4 years and I would be too if I had not come across the big fass pump at the right time.
Good to hear , I have the TTS twin lift pumps also , had them on for 5 years now no issues , I have them wired to both run all the time.
Old 12-14-2012, 08:36 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by AKlowriderZ71
That's good to hear. I haven't decided which way I'm going yet, the wife's car is taking up all my spare time right now. Do you have any pics of how you mounted your pump and filters?
I took two pieces of 3" c-channel and a plate bolted together and mounted to the frame with plastic spacers. But I can try and get some pics this weekend for you. One thing is I still have to replace the one hose yet cause I didnt have the right fittings I wanted to use so I made do with what I had at the time
Old 12-14-2012, 10:21 PM
On The Tree

If you put in a lift pump drop the bones for a filtered setup. A friend of mine got 1 tank of bad diesel and it took out his injection pump and injectors because the stock filter couldnt handle it. His brother runs a fass setup in his cummins for the same reason. After a set of injectors and a new pump $500 seems like change
Old 12-15-2012, 08:31 PM
Teching In

There are some good options now, such as the adapters that let you use a CAT filter on the stock filter housing. I have deleted the stock filter, using a housing from NAPA and a CAT 1R-0749 filter. More filtration is never a bad thing.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Diesel lift pump???